#FreeBresha DAYS OF ACTION: OCT 5 & 6
Bresha has an important court hearing on Thursday, Oct 6th when the prosecutor will determine if Bresha will be prosecuted for a crime (possibly charged as an adult) instead of given the support & safety that she needs.
We take action in solidarity with Bresha and demand that she is returned home to her family and that all charges against her are dropped. We call on #SayHerName/#BlackLivesMatter supporters, victim advocates, feminists, racial justice activists, young people, and people of faith to take action in solidarity with Bresha and all survivors of domestic & sexual violence who are criminalized for surviving.
WAYS TO PARTICIPATE (Download as PDF):
- TAKE DIRECT ACTION! On Oct 5th & 6th, organize a march & rally, a speak out, a vigil, a flash mob dance party, a concert, a block party, or a fundraiser. Use media! Create zines, short videos, postcards, music, and poetry.
- DONATE to the fund to support Bresha Meadows’ freedom: https://www.gofundme.com/BreshaM
- SIGN the petition to demand that Trumbull County Prosecutor, Dennis Watkins, drop the charges against Bresha and free her now: bit.ly/FreeBreshaNow
- WRITE letters of encouragement and support to Bresha and send to:
Bresha MeadowsTrumbull County Juvenile Detention Center220 Main Street SWWarren, OH 44481
- JOIN the “Open Letter to Dennis Watkins” project. Send us an open letter to Prosecutor Dennis Watkins who has the discretion to decide to drop charges against Bresha. https://freebresha.wordpress.com/open-letters/
- EDUCATE communities about the criminalization of black girls and survivors of domestic violence! Organize discussions and workshops about domestic and sexual violence, explore community strategies for safety and support, resist the criminalization of our communities.
* #FreeBresha curriculum template
* fact sheet on domestic violence and the criminalization of girls
* educational tools at survivedandpunished.org and No Selves to Defend
- ENDORSE the call to free Bresha Meadows. Urge your campus, organization, union, faith community, or collective to endorse the statement posted by Love & Protect: http://loveandprotect.org/bresha-meadows/
- CONNECT WITH FAITH COMMUNITIES. Take a moment to lift up Bresha during your worship service and prayerfully speak out against domestic violence and child abuse. Download Sojourners’ #Pray4Bresha Worship Guide for suggested prayers, readings, and resources. More here: https://freebresha.wordpress.com/faith/
- SPREAD THE WORD with friends, families, communities, co-workers, and via social media. Write letters to the editor to your local news media. Blog, tweet, and spread the word on social media. #FreeBresha